370.001 Centers and Institutes at Florida International University
A center or institute shall report to the dean of the college or school in which it resides.
If a center or institute is multidisciplinary and involves collaboration and cooperation across different colleges and/or schools, then it will report to the Vice President for Research unless a different reporting line is approved by the Provost.
Centers and institutes are expected to engage in at least seven of the following initiatives, three of which are mandatory:
• Respond to the overall mission of the University (mandatory)
• Educate students (mandatory)
• Create and transfer knowledge to students
• Offer students opportunities to apply knowledge to the real world
• Support graduate students
• Support faculty and research goals
• Increase faculty productivity
• Increase interdisciplinary interactions
• Engage the community
• Be linked to broader programs and consortia
• Transfer research to technology
• Translation of research findings to usable products for academia and/or public
• Have an impact on the economy
Resource Utilization/Return on Investment(ROI)
• Show a positive ROI [see Florida International University Request for a New Center or Institute Form, Section 7 for examples at apa.fiu.edu](mandatory)
• Obtain external funding to enhance or replace the University’s initial E&G investment
Forms available here.
Individually you may find them at:
Florida International University Request for a New Center or Institute Request for a New Center or Institute
Florida International University Annual Center/Institute Report Annual Center/Institute Report
Florida International University Center/Institute Disbandment Form Center/Institute Disbandment Form
Forms may also be obtained upon request through the Office of the Provost.
Published on 2012-10-16
Administrative Oversight & Contact Information
Susan P Himburg
- Phone: 3053483233
- Facsimile: 3053482322